10 Questions to Ask Your Inspector
Here are 10 questions that you should ask your home inspector:
1. What systems will the inspection include? A thorough inspection will include foundation, roof, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, electrical, etc.
2. What specialized equipment do you use. Equipment may include infrared camera, electronic level, combustible gas detector, carbon monoxide detector, moisture meters, etc.
3. How long have you been a licensed inspector. While some inspectors do a great job right after licensing, all improve with time. 10 years of experience is better that 5 years.
4. How long will the inspection take? An inspection should take a minimum of 2-1/2 hours.
5. May we accompany you on the inspection? You should be allowed to follow the inspector and ask questions.
6. Are you a member in good standing of a professional inspectors' organization? Membership in a professional inspectors' organization shows your inspectors willingness to further his education and share his experience with his peers.
7. How much will the inspection cost? Price is usually based on the size of the house and can start as low as $250. Ask your inspector to see a copy of his pricing.
8. How soon will we get the written report? Reports should be delivered within 24 hours.
9. Will the report include photos of the deficiencies? Photos in the report will make the report easier to understand and better documents the condition of the property.
10. Does your company also do repairs when you find problems? If the answer is yes, it may indicate a conflict of interest.
Honest and Trustworthy